Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Week 1-My family Culture


I assume I cannot take my dog (tear).

This is an interesting question.  I believe in trying to live without “things” and I try to be a minimalist (so it’s a little hard for me).  I am envisioning my parent’s house and what is in there that I would have to take with me.  What means the most to me is pictures. I love pictures and some of my favorite ones are from when my brothers and I were little. 

1)   A picture of my brother and I in our first house, in our bay window.  I have pink pj’s on with a yellow football helmet, and my brothers are wearing hammer pants with football helmets.  We are dancing.  It is a square picture. A picture of happiness and silliness. It would provide an example of a time when we were carefree.
  
(I do not have this picture with me, I promise it is adorable)


This led me to think of more pictures that I have and my extended family.  My parents are still friends with their friends from college and all the kids have know each other their entire lives.  Each summer we get together every summer.

2)   The first 22 years of our college campout on a DVD.  Twenty-two minutes of picture bliss, from my most favorite people. This would be an example of what our family is, our extended family, a family who is not blood related. It shows the bond of family/friendship. 


Lastly, because I love pictures so much I would bring my favorite picture of my dog (that is only if I could not take him (: ). 

3)   Favorite Winston picture.  He is looking out the window at the snow when I was in college.  This would provide an example of how dogs are valued in my culture, so valued that people call them children.

If upon arrival I could only take one item, I would take the DVD. Even if it couldn’t be played I would still take it, because it would give me a reminder of some of the happiest moments in my life.

Making this list made me realize what is important to me, my family.  I sometimes forget how much they mean to me and I definitely do not tell them enough how much I love them and appreciate them for everything they do. This exercise also showed me what I value and I am a little surprised that all I thought of was pictures of people and animals that I love.

2 comments:

  1. Abby,

    That is really interesting that those are the first things that came to your mind when you thought about this assignment. Only because that truly means your family is very important to you. I had a harder time thinking of three things I would take because I spent so much time thinking of all the things I could not take. LOL

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, fictive kin also figures prominently in my life. My best friend and her family live three doors down from me. Our children have been raised like cousins. I couldn't imagine what life would be like without our weekly family dinners (during which our families have dinner together) or the moments when she and I can sneak away for tea and chitchat. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete