Friday, December 23, 2011

Week 8


There are many insights that I have gained from this course. Mostly, I know more about research now.  Before I was not certain what my role in research could be, but now I am aware that I could very well play an active role in research.  I had the idea that there were only certain types of people who conducted research, but my ideas have changed about how I could actually do research with my ideas that I have.


I have learned that thinking of an idea for a research project is one easiest part and the designing and conducting it take a lot more consideration.  There are several parts to a study and it is a lot more complicated than it looks and you better take the time to ensure that a research project is valid and ethical. 


Writing the research simulaiton was a big challenge for me, mostly because I did not have an example to go off of.  I kept wanting to see what would happen if I actually conducted this research and not just write about it.  It was hard for me to visualize.  I overcame this by looking at examples in the book and keep thinking about how I would like to complete the research.  It was still difficult for me, but I was able to complete the assignment. 


My perception of early childhood educators has modified because of this class.  I can say that early childhood researchers have a tricky job.  Not only do they want the best for children but they have the navigate the world of research in order to give the best to children (or at least I hope they do). 

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you in stating that I did not know what my role would be in research. Just the idea of this being a research class presented me with so much fear. I, too, still have fear because there is so much involved in doing research, but I am more knowledgeable about research now. This class has helped me so much. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also realized that the generating a possible research topic is worlds easier than designing and conducting research on that topic! To be completely honest I am glad that I do not have the job of being an early childhood researcher. Although I do play the role of a researcher as an early childhood professional, it is not my primary role! Through this course I have become much more thankful for those that have dedicated their life to research!
    Thanks for the post! I look forward to working alongside you in another class. Have a very merry christmas and a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Abby,

    I absolutely concur with your post. So often I had not idea how this could possibly work in the real world. However, like so many aspects of this course, seems like step by step wins the day. Just think, we could have our names on a research paper some day. Or not. Well at least the chances of that happen are a little more reality.

    I agree too, that our work in the classroom can be more effective as we keep in mind the critical thinking we have gained in this course.

    I hope our paths cross again and in the meantime, I thank you and wish you all the best this season has to offer.

    Warm regards,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete