Friday, January 27, 2012

Week 4-Microaggressions

I have a perfect example of a microaggression that happened this week.  Each week I have nursing students who come in and observe students in my classroom.  This is part of their pediatric unit and the  hope is to get some experience with students with disabilities. I enjoy having nursing students because most of them do not have any experience with children with disabilities and I feel that my classroom gives them a great opportunity to observe a wide range of students. The nursing student this week was maybe 45, not untypical of other students.  The first thing he said when he walked in was "I expected you to be 40-45ish because people tell me your so good."  I never know what to say when people make comments about my age.  I know I look young. I am young. I was offend he assumed that a good teacher must be older.  I am just not sure what to say when people, co-working included, make comments to me and call me "kid." 

I know that there was no harm behind this comment, but it did make it a microinsult. It also invalidated that I was not going to be good.

This was a very interesting week. I now have more information on discrimination, prejudices and stereotypes and what it looks like.  I now know that the littlest comments can truly offend someone and with this new knowledge I hope that I can be more aware of what I say and what could potentially be harmful. Dr. Sue offered some great ways to prevent microaggression, I hope that I can use this in my teaching career and continue to make great relationships with my students and their families.
  • In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people 
  •  
  •  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby,

    What a great exposure for these Nursing students to see children in wellness settings. Sometimes, I think the medical field can be stuck in the sickness mode and perhaps miss that health can look different.

    I am sorry you took this as an insult because what I heard was that you are that amazing that he assumed it would have taken you longer to reach this level of performance.

    By the way, I was a little surprised, pleasantly, that he was a he and not a she.

    As always thanks for the freshness of your blogs.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!I see only positives resulting from this microaggression. You're brilliant reputation as a teacher has preceeded you and the nurse learned that age is not an accurate predicter of aptitude.

    ReplyDelete