Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

I chose to look at China and South East Asia because I have taught and traveled in those areas.  Traveling to countries that were so outside of my comfort zone really opened up my world to life outside of my own. 

After exploring the website it was clear that a big challenge children face is physical abuse and even sexual abuse.  It was reported that 1 in 10 children experience abuse that resulted in a physical injury and sometimes up to 33% of children are suffering. Nearly 9% of children are suffering from severe phycial abuse, or 1 and 4 children, this might include, beatings with fists or implements.  There was also a report stating between 14-30% of girls and boys have been sexually abused, forced intercourse (UNICEF, 2012).

These experiences can have a negative impact on children's emotional well being.  The damage can last a lifetime, children who suffer abuse, neglect, and re exploited are more likely to be depressed.  They also may experience mental health problems, attempt suicide, and may engage in high risk behaviors (UNICEF, 2012).

My personal experience was while I was in Vietnam. I never witnessed physical abuse in China, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos or Cambodia but what I did witness was manual labor.  I saw people paying children to message their feet or carry wood for miles out in the villages.  It was interesting when people paid for services, because to me they should have known better.  In the villages it was their way of life, I understand helping out the family but it was a bit much to me.  Although, it is hard for me to understand because it is not a culture that I am apart of.  So I guess this goes to show how much we have to learn about others. I hope that I can continue to travel and be opened up to new insights.

Resource:

UNICEF, (2012). "Child Maltreatment: Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences: A Systematic Review of Research, ." Retrieved http://www.unicef.org/eapro/Child_Maltreatment.pdf>.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that sometimes there is a bit of uncertainty as to where we stand as advocators because of the cultural makeup of a region or area. While we look at paying children to do certain things such as manual labor or massage the feet of an adult, others thinks this is appropriate behaviors. I think it is our responsibility to learn more about the culture as you have stated and find ways to help others think differently in a creative, non-threatening respectful manner.

    It is so unfortunate to read about the many, many cases of physical and sexual abuse in this region. I will never understand or try to understand the reasoning behind of behavior. The effects of this type of treatment for children will indeed lead to negative results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your post was very insightful! Very neat that you have been able to teach in these places. Yet, I was baffled that so many young children and being abused in the areas you focused on! How sad! Child Labor is an unfortunate thing that I think we often forget about. Very sad that children are being forced to grow up quickly! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been so lucky to have traveled to all of these places! It must have been hard to watch children working. Even though they are being paid, it is likely minimal but it means the world to them and their families. It's upsetting to hear about the high rate of abuse victims in this region of the world. I'm not sure what the rate is here in the US but 33% sounds very high.

    Thank you for sharing this information with us!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete