Saturday, June 23, 2012

What I Have Learned- Week 8


My hope is that as I continue on my journey of working with young children and their families is that I continue to address biases that I am feeling.  We never are going to get anywhere if we are not seeking information on something, so I hope that if I am questioning something that I will stop to ask the questions, so that I can gain knowledge and directly address an issue I may be having.  With that being said I think the most helpful thing that I learned throughout this class was to consider the cycle of socialization and liberation.  Both of these figures have really stuck out in my mind.

My goal for the early childhood field is that our work with young children and their families continues to be valued work. My other goal is that each year we learn new information and I hope that where ever life takes us we are able to continue to grow for the benefite of young children and their families.

I would like to thank all the wonderful colleagues that I have been working with, some of you I have known since the beginning of the program.  It is amazing the learning that is taking place.  I hope to see you in the next class!


 References
Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of socialization. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W.
Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 6.1 on p. 46, 2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of liberation. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W.
Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 7.1 on p. 53). New York, NY: Routledge.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your hope to address biases that you're feeling through your future endeavors with children and families. I feel as though in life we need to constantly self reflect so that we can better ourselves.

    Thank you for all of your contributions to the course. I look forward to learning with you and from you in our future classes.

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you have found strength in addressing your biases. I too think that it is best to address your question instead of allowing them to manifest into something negative. Communication is the best policy especially as far as children are concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think addressing the biases will help us all become better professionals as well as better people. Good luck to you in all of your professional endeavors.

    ReplyDelete