Friday, June 15, 2012

What have I learned...

All week I was thinking about what I would create for this assignment.  I love to create but I was having a hard time focusing on what exactly I would make. 

Reflecting on what I learned I kept going back to the Cycle of Socialization and the Cycle of Liberation (Harro, 2010, p. 46, 53).  Both of these images has stuck with me.  I see myself when I begin to judge something to this about what internalized messages I have received that is causing me to judge.

Our world is not defined by our boarders,  there is interaction between worlds.  Our world is not defined, it is a continuum, we continue to learn, grow and change.  

In order to CHANGE we have to have knowledge, we use that knowledge to feel empowerment, we then create experience and finally we take on a leadership role to make the CHANGE.  Nothing can be done with out the other. If I can remember this, then I will have the ability to make the difference I want to make with the young children and families that I work with.  This is a cycle that never stops.

Resource

Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of socialization. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W. Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 6.1 on p. 46, 2nd ed., Figure 6.2 p. 53). New York, NY: Routledge.

3 comments:

  1. I love what you created! I love how the background harps on what you said about it being a continuum.The words you used in your creation were perfect examples of what creates change. We are indeed part of change- daily. I love your creativity! Beautiful example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you that in order to make a difference in the lives of others, we have to learn how the cycle works. I agree with you that in order to break the cycle and stand out for ourselves and others we have to have the knowledge, power, experience, and leadership qualities. Thanks for sharing this very meaningful art representation and in my opinion a great summary of all what we have been learning about how to stand out for others and make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this picture... Very nice. I do agree with all your concepts and I also would like to add acceptance and respect.
    It is a great job you did.

    ReplyDelete