Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 4- Who am I as a communicator?

I ended up having more than two people evaluate my communication because each score I received was within 2-4 points of how I scored myself.  I wanted to see if I looked beyond family and colleagues if people perceived me differently. Well all the scores that I gathered where nonetheless the same, but this did come to a surprise to me. 


The verbal aggression quiz was the most interesting.  I think of myself as a passive person and I try to avoid conflict.  I came out in the moderate section, which I am glad that I did.  I thought that I might score in the no verbal aggression. I was happy to see that both my scores and my colleagues/friends scores were the same, I guess I am not as passive as I thought I was.  This is good for me to know because sometimes I lack the confidence to stand up for what I am fighting for, this quiz shows me that I am using effective strategies to get my point across without demeaning the other person. 


I was also not surprised that I fell into group one on the learning styles quiz.  I am very trusting of people that I am working with, parents, friends, etc.  I have noticed that sometimes this does not treat me very well.  For example, this year I fully trusted a parent and we had really great communication about her son.  One day the physiologist that I worked with came to me and that parents had called her to express how much she disliked me and everything I was doing.  I felt we had built a strong rapport and we were communicating the way she wanted to communicate.  I ended up referring to my notes in all of our communication and responded to her with dated information on all of her complaints about me.  Since then I feel that I have lost trust in her and I cannot believe what she is telling me because she could just go behind my back and do it all over again. 

3 comments:

  1. I too found this assignment interesting. I am more of an aggressive communicator, so I learned that sometimes this is a down-fall. I am trying to be more patient in my communications and interactions.
    Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to recognize how much I did learned this week about the Who am I as a communicator. I understand that this course has gone deep into the point, that I had visualize and learned about our self to developed healthy environments in the future. Thanks to colleagues like you, I had learned more and put an interest to admire communication: the way I do it and the way it should be done for future benefits. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agreed that being trusting of people can sometimes put us into awkward situations. However the reward is that it is beautiful feeling to value others. Today's society lacks a lot of that so don't be discourage continue to support people.

    ReplyDelete