Saturday, November 12, 2011

Week 2- Personal Research Journey

The chosen topic for the simulation is inclusion programs in primary grades in elementary school (inclusion meaning that both general and special education students are served in the same classroom).  My three sub-topics that I chose were:

1) why preschool is inclusive? How does it work? And why it works?
2) differences between early childhood teacher certification and kindergarten through 12th grade general education certification. 
3)   design of early childhood programs verse the design of kindergarten through 12th grade programs and how that affects children with disabilities.  

As for what I know so far, is that I need to dive into my research.  I am unsure about what information I will find or if I will find the "right" information regarding to inclusion in primary grade. Although information regarding inclusion is abundant! I do know of friends who work in other school districts that currently are using an inclusion model and it is working.  I plan on talking with them, my principal and contacting other schools that may or may not have inclusion programs.  

I am interested in how other teachers feel about inclusion, what works, what does not, etc.  I do not feel inclusion is for every child, but I do feel it is important to consider for each child (even though it might not work).   I am an inclusion teacher for primary grades, I support general education teachers in including all of our students.  It is important for me because I love when I see inclusion working (not that it always does).  I want to find out more information on what other programs and districts do. 

1 comment:

  1. Abby-I think that you have chosen some great research questions. I have an opinion regarding why inclusion works well in preschool. I believe that it is due to the less stringent format of preschool classrooms. There is a lot of music, movement, hands on learning and rich sensory experiences in early education programs. Also, there are typically two or more teachers in early education classrooms as opposed to one or, if one is lucky, an aide in elementary classrooms. These factors create an environment that naturally accommodates a variety of learning styles including those with specific developmental challenges.

    ReplyDelete