Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sharing web resources- week 6

I followed a link that was called The Early Head Start National Resource Center.  The first topic I noticed was about infants and toddlers and biting.  My students are not infants and toddlers but I have three biters.  This particular area took me to an online lesson that provided information regarding biting and what to do about it.   

The newsletter I received this week,  from zero to three,  focused on little kids and big questions and gave a link to online parenting podcasts. I decided to listen to one about the influence of media on young children.  I struggle with the amount of TV or computer time children are exposed to.  Ellen Wartella talks about that there is educational media and that babies are engaged with media.  She stresses how you can pick media that is appropriate for all age groups and how to be cautious about selecting media. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zttpodcastseries/podcast/Ellen%20Wartella%20FINAL.mp3?s_src=podcast&s_subsrc=media 

New insights that I learned from the newsletter is that zero to three has made a contract with the National Center on Professional Development Systems and Workforce Initiatives.  Their goal is to help develop comprehensive professional development system. I think this falls into place with equity and excellence because early childhood programs that use zero to three may look to this as an important part of the staff development of early childhood educators.





 

6 comments:

  1. Biting Biting Biting, one of the great issues to battle with children. I actually just used that website last month becuase we had a biter!! It provided great information on how to handle the parents and child. Staff development is very important. My school provides free classes about a variety of topics for our teachers. I appreciate the knowledge my staff obtains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,

    I can not seem to come to terms with what is suitable for an amount of television time and what is not. I know there are educational shows, and I know that mommy and daddy love making dinner without stepping on little toes or answering a million questions or jumping over race cars that happen to be racing in the kitchen...., but is putting the television on for that hour a day really neccessary? The t.v. debate lives on!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,
    I'm glad zero to three is providing a resource for professional development. Webinars or podcasts are great ideas because of the cost factor for professional development and the convenience.
    Some TV time for kids at home is acceptable, I have a problem with child care centers that use TV's.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,
    I just find it so hard to believe that children are watching educational shows on television now. The problem with children now are that they spend entirely too much time watching other shows television and if you were to asked them anything pertaining to school they wouldn't be able to tell you. The majority of children are not being supervised while watching television by their parents. Not good at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby,
    This has been an on going issue for years. There are so many opposing views about how much time is appropriate for children to engage in the television. Parent who have very busy lives may think its acceptable to allow their child to watch television while they are occupied doing other things. However some parents are either misinformed about the amount of television is allowed or they feel they know what is best for their child. I believe this issue will continue to carry on because some parents will do what suits them best oppose to what is better for the child.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abby,
    I enjoyed your post and sharing the resources both from the Early Head Start Resource Center and the information from Zero to Three.
    On the first, biting can be a frusterating behavior for ECE professionals, parents, and the bitee to deal with. Often I find that it can be an indicator of other things going on with the child, or it can be as simple as an oral fixation, especially with infants and toddlers. Nevertheless, there are always new insights that can be gained from accessing new resources!
    I also can identify with the feeling that exposing very young children to media is a double-edged sword. I agree that in moderation, and appropriatness, media will be an asset when exposure is made early on. However, we must be careful to not use advancements in technology and media as a crutch for good, old-fasion means of education for our youngsters! Good post!

    ReplyDelete