Friday, March 11, 2011

What's in a name?

When I was thinking about a title for my blog I kept thinking about my classroom.  Then this image popped into my head of all the visuals I use and the purpose they serve.  I have many students who have autism and I use visual schedules for their daily routine, visuals for circle time, snack time and picture exchanges to make requests. I thought about their daily routine and how important it is to pair an activity with visuals. I often try to imagine myself in their shoes and how thrown off I would be if I had people pulling me in every direction, wanting me to perform a given task and not understanding what they want of me.  Then I realized how important I value a routine and that I do get disrupted when I change it up.  It might be that I decide to see  a movie on school night and it throws me off.  I may not react in the same way as some of my students but indeed I have to adjust.  Just like my students very structured day which is all planned out, I realized my life is structured too. My students need to know what is happening in their day, just like I need it.  I need to anticipate a change and prepare myself for what's next!

1 comment:

  1. I love your picture schedule! That is wonderful for your autistic kids. I could not agree with you more that young students need to know what to expect from their day. Your students are very lucky to have you as their teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete