Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally

Gates Foundation

The first organization that I knew I wanted to research was the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation because of their philanthropic work all over the world and their particular interest in education.  Their four core values also resonate with me, they are optimism, rigor, innovation and collaboration.

They have so many job posted on their site. I chose to look at Policy and Advocacy in Education.  There are several Program Officer positions both in Seattle and Beijing. This job works with teachers and students to make sure they are working together to get all students to graduate high school.  Qualifications for this position is a Bachelor's degree and 5-10 years of professional leadership or classroom experiences directly supporting, managing and implementing education programs. You also need to be able to travel 30% of the time.

Another position that looked interesting was the Director of Family Planning and the Educational Effectiveness positions.  Both require extensive experience as an employee of an NGO and graduate level schooling. Also, it would like to see a progression of leadership responsibilities with prior work. 


UNICEF 

I then chose UNICEF (United Nations Children Fund) because I believe in the work that they do for our world.  I like that they not only focus on education but hunger, equal rights, basic human rights, protections and emergency help.  

I looked at their Junior Professional program, which is for young professional women and men who are seeking to gain skills in international development. 

I also looked that their New and Emerging Talent Initiative, this is an entry point for professionals looking to work with UNICEF. Some of the requirements for the program are a university masters degree, know another languages, have relevant work experience (another country or work with diversity) and preference is given to candidates under 35 years of age. 

UNESCO

United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization I have always enjoyed their work to bring people and cultures together through shared values. 

Like the UNICEF they have a young professionals program which is for young professionals who have recently graduated.  You may be able to apply for a professional position with an advanced university degree, known either English or French and be knowledgeable of Chinese, Arabic, Russian and Spanish.  You also need anywhere from 2-15 years of experience depending on the positions.

What I found interesting is that both UNICEF and UNESCO have junior professional programs and that often you need to go through this to get higher level positions.  All three would be great organizations to work for.

.




3 comments:

  1. Abby,
    I think the positions you found at the Gates Foundation were very interesting. It is great that they are working with teachers and students to increase high school graduation levels.

    UNICEF and UNESCO are also excellent agencies. The idea of a Junior position leading into higher level positions is interesting. What a great way for a person to get experience!

    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,

    I agree that all three organizations are each valuable ones that bring meaning and importance to the early childhood field as well as the educational field on other important issues such as poverty and equal rights for all. I found the Gates Foundation to be the most interesting as I had actually not realized the impact of the organization. I am familiar with the Gates Foundation but had never taken the time out to educate myself on the actual works of this great foundation. In addition, I was not familiar with the United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, but this too is an organization that I can add to my resource list! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abby,

    I really like the Gates Foundation and I wish I was in a position to be able to travel. I was not aware of the foundation but I will read more about it online. Although I do not meet the qualification as far as experience the position sounds very interesting. Thanks for the information!!

    ReplyDelete